Jeanette Castady

"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD, in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD."
-Psalm 27 13:14


On August 1st, 2006 our Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. This blog is dedicated to her.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Homecoming

This blog is becoming increasingly difficult to update in a timely fashion. It isn't that I don't want to update it. The problem is that I'm always holding out thinking that if I just wait one more hour, or one more night, I will have better information to share with everyone. I guess it's probably time to admit that we will most likely never have perfect information on exactly what is happening on all fronts with mom. Just keep in mind, that things are constantly changing with mom's condition and her treatment options. What is true today probably won't be completely accurate tomorrow...or even later today for that matter. However, this is what we know as of today, right now.

This past Saturday, mom officially got the go ahead to return home after almost a month in the hospital. While everyone was extremely excited to have mom coming home, there was also a bit of nervousness about what needed to be done before that could happen. Mom has been retaining water quite a bit lately, and the plan was to have another procedure done to have that fluid drained before she came home. However, since there was no one available at the hospital to do the procedure over the weekend, the doctor thought it was best that mom's homecoming be delayed util today. This way, she can have her stomach drained prior to coming home. Hopefully this will aleviate some of mom's discomfort and allow her to be more comfortable at home.

Mom is sleeping a lot lately. I think all of the medication that she is taking is taking it's toll on her body. For now, chemo has been suspended. While I don't think there is any official word on whether it will be resumed or not, I can't see it happening any time soon. She was able to get two cycles of chemo so far, and in both cycles, after two weeks her platelette level drop to dangerous levels. Mom's platelette has returned to safe levels once again, however at this point, it just isn't worth the risk and all the accompanying side effects to continue to try and do chemo. If mom's condition takes a turn for the better in the next few weeks, I'm sure we will revisit this.

So for now, everyone's main goal is to try and make sure mom is as comfortable as she can be while she is home. She is, for the most part, confined to the bed which means that she needs someone ready to care for her 24 hours a day. This morning, my mom and dad will be interviewing an RN who will hopefully be mom's caregiver while she is home. I think having someone at the house dedicated to only serving mom will help put everyone's mind at ease, most importantly, mom's. We will still continue to have a schedule, where family members will spend time with mom during the daylight hours to tend to all the non-critical things, not that the schedule is really necessary. I, like most people, have never been in the room with my mom by myself. She is continually being flooded with friends and family. I'll admit that I was a little worried that as time dragged on, people may find it increasingly difficult to continue to spend time with mom. That certainly has not happened yet, and now I really can't ever see that happening. She is that loved.

So for now, please pray for mom and everyone involved in her direct care. Mom's homecoming is the best thing to happen in a while, but it is also a huge challenge for a lot of people. I think everyone is up for the challenge, but I don't think a prayer or two would hurt either.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. I find myself waiting for them. Welcome home.

1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so glad to hear Aunt Jeanette has returned to the comfort of her home! As always, we continue to pray for Aunt Jeanette and also Uncle George and the family.

Love,
Renee, Michelle and Sean Castady

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your entire family is soundly in my prayers, Greg. I wish you all great strength and peace in your hearts. All the best to your amazing mother.

Christine

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web jeanettecastady.blogspot.com