Jeanette Castady

"I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD, in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD."
-Psalm 27 13:14


On August 1st, 2006 our Mom was diagnosed with Stage 4 pancreatic cancer. This blog is dedicated to her.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Wednesday Update

Last night was a big night for our family. We met with the doctor who has been treating our mom. First she gave us the rundown of everything that has been going on lately. In a nutshell, most of the problems that my mom has been experiencing have been caused by one of two things. The first main problem is that her liver isn't functioning properly, as a result of the cancerous tumors that have developed there. The high ammonia levels, the water retention, and the confusion are all a result of this problem. The second problem was her reaction to the chemo. She had an alarmingly low platelet count and her white blood cell count was also low, which were both direct reactions to the chemo. These have both returned to normal levels now, so it was now time to decide what mom wanted to do as far as treatment going forward. It is kind of a catch-22 really. The only way to improve the functioning of the liver is to try and get the tumors under control, but the only way to do that is through more chemo, which may introduce more problems.

First of all, mom will receive a paracentesis today at 11AM, which is basically a drainage of the fluids that have built up in her abdomen. This will relieve some of the pressure she is feeling in her midsection and will hopefully allow her to eat and feel a little better. This is important because mom is going to need her strength.

After much thought, discussion, and prayer mom has decided to give the chemotherapy another shot. This time they will reduce the dosage of the main chemo agent, Gemzar, to about 75% of the original dosage. This will hopefully limit the side-effects, but still be enough to hinder the growth of the tumors. They will give her the next treatment either later today or early tomorrow, depending on how she recovers from the paracentesis. Once the chemo is administered, mom will spend at least a few more days in the hospital so they can monitor her blood levels and make sure she doesn't have anymore adverse reactions to it. If she doesn't, a decision will be made about going home or staying at the hospital.

This is obviously a very big day for our mom. As always, if you pray, we could use your prayers. Mom's words to me this morning were as follows:

"I'm a fighter. If I just stopped chemo after the first set-back that I had, I would feel like I'm quitting, and that's not me."


So she is going to continue to fight. We ask that you support her in her battle.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our prayers are with you always Jeanatte keep fighting!!!Jamie (Rocky's sister)

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kick this cowardly, insidious thing to the curb and make it beg for mercy. Fight with the sword that your family and friends will all help you hoist.

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leah & family ~
Your Mom is constantly in my prayers. I love her words about being a fighter - she will fight and we will pray!!
Bless you all....
Donna
(Leah's friend from The Family Homestead)

3:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This can never be more true than right now. Jeannette, you are in my prayers every day.

One night a man had a dream. He dreamed he was walking along the beach with the LORD.
Across the sky flashed scenes from his life.
For each scene he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand: one belonging to him, and the other to the LORD.
When the last scene of his life flashed before him,he looked back at the footprints in the sand.
He noticed that many times along the path of his life there was only one set of footprints.
He also noticed that it happened at the very lowest and saddest times in his life.
This really bothered him and he
questioned the LORD about it:
"LORD, you said that once I decided to follow you, you'd walk with me all the way.
But I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life,
there is only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why when I needed you most you would leave me."

The LORD replied:

"My son, my precious child,
I love you and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God continue to bless the family you have! Your strength, love and support for one another will continue to be your foundation and will help your family get throught this trial and anything else that is put in front of you. I will pray for your family.

Derek and April Townsend

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeanette, Our Sister, our friend, and our rock. We love you so much and all pray for you. We will be by your side and support you no matter what. We're here for you and the whole family, our bond now is only stronger and we pray for you always.

Love all your sisters.

12:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Web jeanettecastady.blogspot.com